Angus Council warns against meter tampering



Angus Council logoAngus Council has today issued a warning to tenants of the dangers of tampering with electricity or gas meters, saying that those who attempt to do it are “putting their own life at risk”.

A council spokesperson said: “Over the last couple of years the number of tenants tampering with their gas and electricity meters has increased significantly.

“If a meter is tampered with it can overheat which can melt the plastic casing and this can cause a fire. Not only is it illegal but it is extremely dangerous and increases the chance of suffering a potentially devastating house fire.

“If someone takes it upon themselves to tamper with an electricity meter they are putting their own life at risk as the whole safety system is by passed, they could suffer serious injury or even death.

“Meter tampering is extremely dangerous and we urge members of the public who are aware of this activity to notify us, in confidence, on 08452 777 778 or contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”