Perth & Kinross Council appeal for foodbank donations
Foodbanks across the Perth and Kinross region are appealing for donations as demand for their service is rising.
Foodbanks and community larders have stayed open under the most recent UK Government guidance as they are a vital service, but donations are needed as people stay at home.
Businesses, including SSE, have provided drivers and vehicles to help get the food to those who need it. Local supermarkets and FareShare have also been supporting the efforts to get food to those who most need it. Any other business support would be welcomed.
To ensure that foodbanks will continue to provide the support that will be needed, the Foodbank Network and other Community Food Organisations, supported by Perth & Kinross Council, are asking people to donate food via local supermarkets when they are doing their essential weekly shop.
Many supermarkets across the region have dedicated drop off points, including two new locations in Blairgowrie. A full list is below.
You can also donate money to Perth and Kinross Foodbank via the website where a standing order form is available to print and complete (with a Gift Aid form) to enable a bank transfer payment.
Alternatively, a cheque can be made payable to Perth and Kinross Foodbank and posted to their premises in Perth. Similarly, Broke not Broken assist householders across Kinross and would also welcome donations - please visit the website for more details.
If your workplace or own business can provide support to Community Food Organisations, either through the donation of non-perishable items, fresh produce, toiletries or through financial assistance, please contact email@example.com.
Larger food donations from local businesses can be delivered to safe place in Perth City Centre by appointment (arranged via firstname.lastname@example.org or contacting 0345 30 111 00).
The types of food currently needed are:
- tinned tomatoes
- jars of pasta sauce
- tinned vegetables
- tinned beans
- tinned meat or tinned fish
- tinned fruit
- small packs of cereal
- tinned potatoes or instant mash
- packets of rice or packets of pasta
Perth & Kinross Council is urging people to support their local Community Food Organisation by purchasing an extra item chosen from the list above and donating it at your local supermarket drop-off point:
- Perth (Sainsbury’s, ASDA & Nationwide Building Society; Tesco Crieff Road, Edinburgh Road; Metro - South Street & Scone; Co-Op Letham, Bridgend, Scone Darnhall Drive, Tulloch & North Muirton)
- Bridge of Earn (Co-Op)
- Kinross (Sainsbury’s & Co-Op)
- Glenfarg (Village Shop)
- Crieff (Co-Op) - alternatively, purchase a Co-Op food gift card and donate it at the kiosk
- Blairgowrie (Co-Op, Sainsbury’s & Tesco)
- Aberfeldy (Co-Op) - alternatively give a cash donations for food via the bucket at the tills
- Pitlochry - (Atholl Centre, Pitlochry Co-Op & Bank of Scotland) - alternatively a cash donation can be given directly to the Atholl Centre or a cheque made payable to ‘Atholl Centre Food’
- St Madoes (Madoch Centre, off the Errol Road) - open 9.30am-5.30pm
Read all of our articles relating to COVID-19 here.