£120m plan to deliver 1000 new council homes in West Dunbartonshire
West Dunbartonshire Council has unveiled an ambitious housing masterplan which will see 1000 new homes developed for rent in the area over the next five years.
The More Homes Better Homes strategy doubles the council’s previous new build target with over £120 million now set to be invested developing new homes by 2021.
The plan lays out the priority affordable housing projects in West Dunbartonshire which are either underway or planned over the years ahead, and was produced after consultation with local and national housing associations, and the Scottish Government.
A number of key areas have been identified for development across West Dunbartonshire both by the council and its housing association partners.
- 40 new council homes for rent at Second Avenue, Clydebank
- 200 new affordable homes at Queens Quay, Clydebank through Wheatley Group and Clydebank Housing Association
- 400 new homes developed across West Dunbartonshire through the council’s strategic housing partnership with Wheatley Group
- Over 100 new council designed homes on the site of the former St Andrews School in Clydebank;
- Over 150 new homes delivered by Dunbritton Housing Association at Dumbarton Harbour
Councillor David McBride, convener of housing and communities committee, said: “Providing good-quality, affordable homes is a key priority for this council. The Strategic Housing Investment Plan details the projects we and our housing association partners are delivering and those which we are planning to develop.
“We have already invested significantly in our housing stock and delivered a number of new homes for our residents as a result. This ambitious new plan reflects the demand in our communities and we are rising to that by delivering much needed new housing and also creating new jobs in the construction industry.”
Councillor Lawrence O’Neill added: “As a council we’ve made a commitment to building more homes and developing better homes. These 1000 new affordable homes will deliver on that, improving the lives of hundreds of residents as a result. In addition, we’re continuing to invest significantly in improving our existing stock and ensuring we deliver a first class repairs and maintenance service for our tenants.”