How 2 find the right home in the right place – Housing Options Scotland tour starts in one week
Starting in just one week, Housing Options Scotland will be holding free drop in events all over the country to give housing information, advice and support to disabled people, older people, disabled veterans and those who support them, and there might be an event coming to a town near you.
Moira Bayne, CEO of Housing Options Scotland, said: “We are delighted to be touring Scotland for the third year in a row. Older people, disabled people/families, disabled veterans and their carers, will have the opportunity to learn about the housing options open to them.
“They will be able to speak face-to-face about their situation with trained professionals and engage with our trained peer support volunteers who have themselves been through the journey of trying to find the right house in the right place. They will also have the opportunity to speak to local and national organisations who work with disabled people, older people, disabled veterans and those who support them.”
Housing Options Scotland has helped thousands of people since its creation in 1997. Amongst these was Margaret Follon, who contacted the organisation in 2011 seeking help with her housing situation as she was stuck in hospital after needing major surgery on her spine.
Margaret remembers: “After nine months in hospital I was facing the prospect of being discharged to my third storey tenement flat with no prospect of returning to work. HOS helped me find the accessible bungalow I now live in which enabled me to return to work for four years and enjoy my retirement living a fully independent life.”
Today as chair of the organisation, she wants to help others by sharing her experience and showing them that accessible housing is available to anyone.
Click on one of the links below to find out more about an event in your area and to book yourself a free place:
- Dundee, 17thJuly, Menzieshill Community Centre, 12pm to 5pm – https://bit.ly/2IvdBud
- Perth, 19thJuly, St Matthews Church, 10am to 3pm – https://bit.ly/2KAvpoi
- Aberdeen, 24thJuly, Sheddocksley Baptist Church, 10am to 3pm – https://bit.ly/2k8rqUY
- Elgin, 26thJuly, The Mansefield Hotel, 10am to 3pm – https://bit.ly/2rRpfZi
- Falkirk, 31stJuly, Falkirk Trinity Church, 10am to 3pm – https://bit.ly/2LdTdjc
- Greenock, 2ndAugust, Beacon Arts Centre, 10am to 3pm – https://bit.ly/2GxjpSo
- Thurso, 7thAugust, Caithness Horizons, 10am to 3pm – https://bit.ly/2k4OPXg
- Skye, 9thAugust, Aros Centre, Portree, 10am to 3pm – https://bit.ly/2GESsfC
- Stranraer, 14thAugust, Ryan Centre, 10am to 3pm – https://bit.ly/2rQQWlM
- Galashiels, 16thAugust, Langlee Community Centre, 10am to 3pm – https://bit.ly/2IwkVWo
If you would like to find out more about Housing Options Scotland, visit www.housingoptionsscotland.org.uk or call 0131 247 1400.