Bright spark Brian helps saves £3,000 for Shelter Scotland
A volunteer with Shelter Scotland’s Prestwick charity shop has helped to save £3,000 for the cause in just six months by passing an electrical safety course.
Brian Birt from Ayr gained his certificate in portable electrical appliance testing in September and has already checked 3,000 donated items as safe to sell and use.
Assuming a £5 minimum sale price per item this means the shop will have raised around £15,000 on those items alone for Shelter Scotland.
Previously it would have cost them £1 to have each item checked so having a trained volunteer has saved £3,000.
Brian said: “It is down to the generosity of the donors that we are able to bring in this money but having the certificate means we are reducing our costs too. I am really delighted to be able to do this for the people Shelter Scotland supports.”
Adam Lang, head of communications and policy at Shelter Scotland, said: “This is an excellent example of the valuable contribution made by volunteers at our shops. They really are at the heart of our communities and together with staff, donors and customers are helping us to ensure that no-one has to face bad housing and homelessness alone.”
Anyone with surplus electrical items are encouraged to donate them to the store at 107 Main Street, Prestwick.