North Lanarkshire Council launches new grant for tenants in rent arrears
A new Tenant Grant Hardship Fund has been launched by North Lanarkshire Council to support people affected financially by the Covid-19 pandemic, and who have fallen into rent arrears and are at risk of becoming homeless.
Set up by the Scottish Government, North Lanarkshire Council has been provided with an allocation of £562,000 and will administer payments direct to landlords.
The fund is open to tenants and landlords and has been established to support people who have been affected financially by the Covid 19 pandemic and have fallen into rent arrears.
The grant, which does not need to be repaid, can help pay off some, or all arrears, to help people secure their tenancy and remain within their homes.
An online form is now live for applications, and applications should be made in this way.
The Scottish Government has set criteria for this fund:
- It is available to tenants in the private and social rented sector at risk of homelessness,
- It will cover 12 months rent or less,
- It is to help repay rent arrears that have arisen due to the Coronavirus pandemic between 23 March 2020 and 9 August 2021,
- Landlords must have complied fully with PARS (pre-action requirements), and
- It is specifically for vulnerable individuals/households at threat of homelessness or who do not have alternative sources of support.
Councillor Heather Brannan-McVey, convener of housing and regeneration, said: “The main focus of this new grant funding is supporting those most at risk of homelessness to remain in their homes.
“The pandemic has hit communities hard. We welcome this grant funding, which will help prevent homelessness for those tenants and residents who have fallen into rent arrears due to the pandemic and it will also help reduce the number of eviction actions taken by landlords. It’s vital we all work together to prevent those most at risk from losing their homes.”
North Lanarkshire Council’s trained housing staff will administer the fund. They are available to help and are already experienced in supporting vulnerable people facing housing problems.
The fund is available until March 2022.