TIS National Excellence Award Winners 2020 announced
The Tenants Information Service (TIS) hosted its first-ever virtual National Excellence Awards ceremony that seen housing organisations, tenants, residents, and community groups come out on top as they scooped the top prizes for their outstanding work, passion, and commitment within the Scottish social housing sector.
This hugely inspiring event welcomed over 120 guests to tune in and enjoy live presenting from Scottish comedian Stuart Mitchell; hear music performances from Paul Sheridan and Chris Cruickshank, the Wakes, streamed live from their music studio; take part in fun challenges; and gather with leaders from across the sector.
Eight categories honoured excellence in everything from, partnership working and scrutiny practice, to digital innovation and community regeneration.
Each year applications get better and better and this year was no different. The exceptional quality of entries really shined through and this strength highlights the fantastic developments that organisations are taking to lead the way.
Ilene Campbell, TIS chief executive, said: “As the Scottish social housing sector responds to the impact of COVID-19, it is more important than ever to recognise the commitment from housing organisations, staff, volunteers, tenants, residents, and community groups who are leading the way and making a difference within the sector.
“We were thrilled to come together virtually to celebrate some of the sector’s biggest achievements – and hope that the innovation and ingenuity shown by the finalists and winners will help to inspire others.”
Finalists were selected from a long list of applicants by an independent judging panel that included representatives from Argyll Community Housing Association, Bield, Cunninghame Housing Association, Dundee City Council, and the Scottish Government.
Hotly anticipated, the awards offer a seal of approval for the most outstanding contributions across the sector. The finalists and winners recognised at the virtual awards ceremony were:
Young Achiever of the Year
Sponsor: East Ayrshire Federation of Tenants and Residents
Presenter: John McKenzie, East Ayrshire Federation of Tenants and Residents
- Winner: Chloe Dunn – Aberdeenshire Council
- Finalist: Eilidh MacDonald – Kingdom Housing Association
- Finalist: Kate McDonagh – North Lanarkshire Council
Tenant Participation Champion
Sponsor: Scottish Government
Presenter: Carolynne Watson, Scottish Government
- Winner: Max Scotto – Kingdom Housing Association
- Finalist: Carol Graham – South Lanarkshire Council
- Finalist: Neil McCulloch – East Ayrshire Council
Excellence in Digital Innovations
Sponsor: Cunninghame Housing Association
Presenter: Ian Macpherson, Cunninghame Housing Association
- Winner: Well Wynd Project at East Lothian Council
- Finalist: Kingdom Housing Association
- Finalist: North Lanarkshire Council
Danny Mullen Scrutiny Excellence
Sponsor: West Lothian Tenants Housing Network in Partnership with West Lothian Council Tenant Participation Team
Presenter: Mark Barnes, West Lothian Council
- Winner: Kingdom Housing Association
- Finalist: Support Services Review Group at Grampian Housing Association
- Finalist: Tenant Led Inspection Team at West Lothian Tenants Network
Excellence in Regeneration
Sponsor: CIH Scotland
Presenter: Craig Gurney, CIH Scotland
- Winner: Sanctuary Scotland Craigbank Development
- Finalist: Edinburgh Small Sites Affordable Homes Programme
Frances Nelson MBE Excellence
Sponsor: Dundee City Council
Presenter: Councillor Anne Rendall, Dundee City Council
- Winner: Lisa Fulton – Campbell Area Tenants and Residents Association
- Finalist: Bruce Cuthbertson – Tenants and Residents East Ayrshire
- Finalist: John Mckenzie – Campbell Area Tenants and Residents Association
Most Inspiring Scrutiny Group
Presenter: Ilene Campbell, TIS
- Winner: Cunninghame Scrutiny Group
- Winner: East Ayrshire Federation of Tenants and Residents
- Finalist: North Lanarkshire Federation of Tenants and Residents
- Finalist: Peter Gibson and George Duncan representing Kingdom Scrutiny Panel
Tenants Group of the Year
Sponsor: International Union of Tenants (IUT)
Presenter: Marie Linder, IUT
- Winner: Sauchie Community Group SCIO
- Runner-up: Calders Residents Association
- Mental Health Peer Support Group – Haddington East Tenants and Residents Association
- Kirkwood Tenants & Residents Association
The event was hailed a great success and TIS said it has been overwhelmed with the immensely positive feedback.