An Irvine-based construction company and its director have been sentenced after multiple health and safety failings, giving rise to significant risk, were found on a local housing development site. Kilmarnock Sheriff Court heard how three inspections by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) took pla
An Edinburgh-based care company that provides housing and community support to those with additional needs has been fined £20,000 for its failure to safeguard a worker who became the victim of abduction, assault and rape. The Action Group pled guilty to health and safety at work breaches commi
The Scottish Housing Regulator (SHR) has written to all social landlords to highlight advice from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) on gas safety. Following a recent review, both organisations are keen to highlight the importance for social landlords of an effective management system f
A housing developer and groundworks contractor have been fined after an employee was crushed and severely injured during an excavation collapse in Cumnock. Ayr Sherriff Court heard that, on 20 February 2018, employees of W & E Lammie were carrying out drainage works within an excavation at
A 52-year-old construction worker was killed after an accident while working on a building site in Dumfries & Galloway. Police were alerted that a man had been struck by a falling mast at Hallmeadow Place at around 9.45am on Thursday, January 21.
Liverpool-based housing association Onward Homes Ltd has been fined after four employees developed a debilitating nerve condition over a period of several years. Liverpool Magistrates’ Court heard that the affected employees developed Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS), whilst working at vario
The UK Government has launched a consultation into proposals to lower the 18-metre height tall building threshold as part of new measures to improve building safety standards. Providing an update on the building safety programme to the House of Commons yesterday, housing secretary Robert Jenrick tol
Places for People Homes Limited has been fined £600,000 after five employees developed Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS). Aylesbury Crown Court heard that between 2009 and 2014 five employees of the property management and development organisation used vibrating powered tools to carry out gro
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has served a Statutory Improvement Notice on Thistle Housing Association in relation to its management of asbestos. The safety body took the action on August 22 after it decided that Thistle had failed to comply with regulations on the control of asbestos.
A contractor has been fined after a gas explosion at a domestic property in Lesmahagow, South Lanarkshire. Lanark Sheriff Court heard that, on 22 March 2007, Turriff Contractors Limited had been contracted to construct and install a gas main on a street in Lesmahagow.